June 3, 2010

RADICAL REBELLION


When I peeped Nylon Magazine's behind-the-scenes footage
of M.I.A's June 2010 cover shoot,
my anticipation for the music issue to hit the stands hit an all-time high,
especially when I spotted her rockin' some pieces from one of my favorite designers
Henry Holland of the infamous funktified brand, House of Holland.





Not only do I love the Sri Lankan rapper for her insanely obscure sense of fashion,
but her passion and fearlessness regarding social change
is what differentiates her from the mold, putting me in pure awe.
With my own personal experiences this past quarter
in learning the depth of the systematic forms of oppression that exist in America,
it's a true breath of fresh air to know that someone of great influence like M.I.A
is using her music to reach people by the masses,
making them aware of the corruption that exists globally
as well as right here in the "land of the free."
{Those words I use very loosely lol}

If you haven't caught wind of the recent controversy she's stirred up,
I suggest you take a look at her newest music video for her single,
"Born Free."
It's a definite eye opener and is a perfect example of the ways that the state
perpetuates violence against whomever they want, whenever they want.


"As long as our social order regards the good of institutions rather than the good of men, so long will there be a vocation for the rebel." --Richard Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...